Esoteric London

No. 359: Great Marlborough Street, W1

Posted in Eating places, Political London by esotericlondon on July 14, 2011

Great Marlborough Street, London, W1. Photo © Roger Dean 2011

Victor Sassie opened the Gay Hussar on Greek Street in Soho in 1953. The Socialist MP Aneurin ‘Nye’ Bevan soon became a devotee of its large, rich Hungarian meals and the restaurant quickly attracted a following amongst the politicians of the political left. With Bevan’s continued patronage the restaurant became known as the unofficial headquarters of the Bevanite movement. R.D.