Esoteric London

No. 1017: Pickfords Wharf, SE1

Posted in Architectural, Churches, Public Art by esotericlondon on January 21, 2014

©RogerDean_RED_6374 copy

Pickfords Wharf, London, SE1.Photo © Roger Dean 2014

Curiosities Of London Exhibiting The Most Rare And Remarkable Objects Of Interest In The Metropolis; With Nearly Sixty Years’ Personal Recollections – John Timbs, 1867:


1814.- Feb. 12. The Custom-house and adjoining houses destroyed. Aug. 28. Oil and mustard mills, Bankside, burnt; remains of Winchester Palace discovered in the ruins.

[The palace of the Bishops of Winchester was one of the largest and most important buildings in medieval London. Founded in the 12th century on the southern bank of the Thames in Southwark it housed the bishops in great comfort during their visits to the city.

The palace remained in use until the 17th century, after which it was divided into tenements and warehouses and lost to view. The ruins, which include a fabulous rose window, were rediscovered after the fire mentioned above, and can be seen in Pickfords Wharf having been fully revealed during the redevelopment of the area during the ’80’s.

The photograph above is of a ceramic tiled image of the rose window in the Great Hall of the palace. It can be found recessed into the wall on Pickfords Wharf in Southwark  opposite the ruins themselves, where the window can be seen in situ. R.D.]