Esoteric London

No. 943: White Lyon Court, EC2

Posted in Architectural, London Labour, Shops, Wartime London by esotericlondon on October 9, 2013

Barbican Estate, White Lyon Court, London, EC2. Photo © Roger Dean 2012

From the plaque on the wall below the frieze in the photograph above:

This frieze was removed from numbers 53 and 54 Barbican when it was demolished in 1962 and re erected by the corporation of London in 1975. Numbers 53 and 54 Barbican were the premises of W. Bryer & Sons gold refiners and assayers whose trade is depicted in the frieze. The building was one of the few which survived when the area was largely destroyed by incendiary bombs in December 1940.