Reflections from the surface of the Tyburn onto the wall of Grays Antique Market, 1-7 Davies Mews, London, W1. Photo © Roger Dean 2010
London In 1856 – Peter Cunningham, 1856:
Tyburnia, or the northern wing, is that vast city, in point of size, which the increasing wealth and population of London has caused to be erected, between 1839 and 1850, on the green fields and nursery gardens of the See of London’s Estate at Paddington. Built at one time, and nearly on one principal, it assumes in consequence a regularity of appearance contrasting strangely with the older portions of Modern London. Fine squares, connected by spacious streets, and houses of great altitude, give a certain air of nobility to the district. The sameness, however, caused by endless repetitions of “Compo” decorations, distresses the eye, and puzzles the resident in London nearly as much as it does the stranger.
[ Tyburnia was named after the River Tyburn which rises at Shepherds Well in Hampstead and flows through the West End via Regents Park on its journey to join the Thames. It was culverted as the area became more built up but can be seen in the basement of Grays Antiques Markets Davies Mews building where it is home to a shoal of gold fish. R.D.]