Heathfield Terrace, London, W4. Photo © Roger Dean, 2013
London’s first pillar box was sited at the junction of Farringdon Street and Fleet Street in 1855.
The one in the above photograph dates from the reign of Edward VII (1901-1910) and these were the first boxes to incorporate a crown into the design. This one is painted gold as, after the 2012 Summer Olympics and 2012 Summer Paralympics, postal companies, including Royal Mail, decided to honour the gold medal winners from Team GB by repainting a post box, usually one in the athletes home-town, in recognition of their acheivement. This particular example can be found outside Chiswick Town Hall and marks Pete Reed’s performance in the Men’s Four Rowing. R.D.