No. 691: Chancery Lane, WC2
King’s College London, Chancery Lane, London, WC2. Photo © Roger Dean 2012
The Hindoostane Coffee House at 34, George Street, W1 was the first restaurant to open in London serving solely Indian food. It was opened in 1810 by Sake Dean Mahomed and today the site of the building is marked with a City of Westminster green plaque.
The plaque in the above photograph is one of several that adorned the North wall of St. Dunstan’s House office building that stood on Fetter Lane until its demolition in 1976. Nowadays these fine examples of late 19th century decorative plasterwork, believed to be the work of Walter Crane, can be seen on the wall of the bicycle rack on the King’s College London’s Chancery Lane campus. R.D.